job opportunities at B'nai Shalom Day School
B’nai Shalom Day School
Job Description: Guidance Counselor
Supervisor: Head of School
The counselor supports the social and emotional health of the community through ongoing commitment to relationships. Duties include but are not limited to:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Counseling and Consultation
- Provides time in the daily schedule for individual counseling for students.
- Plans and implements group guidance activities, especially in times of crisis or after critical events.
- Consults with families, teachers, administrators, and other appropriate individuals regarding services and programs available to/for students.
- Meets with parents as needed for support and parenting education
- Prepares a list of contact personnel in agencies, programs, and services external to the school setting for collaboration and referral.
- Provides classroom guidance on targeted topics
- Counsels individuals and small groups of children toward social and emotional growth within the context of educating the whole child.
- Corresponds with outside specialists and agencies.
- Aids in the understanding of the consequences of actions for self and others.
- Assist students in dealing with a family crisis (e.g., separation, divorce, death, neglect and abuse, unemployment and alcoholism).
- Assists with development of students’ self-esteem.
- Consults with teachers about useful classroom interventions for struggling students.
- Assists parents/guardians in helping students set and achieve goals.
- Refers children and their parents to special programs, specialists and outside agencies when needed.
- Provides individual parent conferences for students when necessary.
- Conducts parent workshops when necessary or requested.
- Serves as consultant to parents/guardians, staff and administration.
- Collaborates closely with teachers and administrators to provide support around appropriate interventions to promote social and emotional development in the classroom.
- Participates in parent-teacher conferences as needed.
- Attends grade level meetings.
- Assists in appropriate student referrals.
- Collaborates with Lower and Upper School Division Heads
- Informs administration of various student’s needs or issues.
- Participates in, coordinates and conduct activities that contribute to the effective operation of the counseling program and school.
- Keeps accurate records of all counseling and guidance activities.
- Protects the confidentiality of student records and releases personal data in accordance with state laws and Board policies.
- Participates in and facilitates the child study team, assisting in social/emotional needs.
- Establishes and maintains a cooperative relationship with faculty, staff and administration to facilitate the provision of optimal guidance and counseling services.
- Plans and evaluates the counseling program.
- Pursues continuous professional growth.
- Engages in other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree related to Counseling
- Current North Carolina Certification
- Three years’ minimum of successful relevant experience
- Understanding of learning styles and differentiated instruction
- Ability to relate well to all constituencies in a school setting
- Highly effective crisis management skills
- Solution-focused, problem-solving counseling techniques
- Thoughtful judgment and effective interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
Staff Non-Discrimination Policy
It is the policy of B’nai Shalom, as adopted by the Board of Trustees, to provide a work place free of illegal discrimination and harassment. In keeping with the spirit and the intent of federal and state law, B’nai Shalom Day School strives to provide a comfortable work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to a workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, handicap, disability, citizenship, or any other protected status. This applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, compensation, and training.